Welcome

Welcome to my 3-Day for the Cure blog where I discuss my experience training, fundraising and walking in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure. I'll be walking in my third 3-Day, this year in San Diego with my teammate Julie, who I met back in 2009 on the walk. I love sharing stories, challenges, frustrations and successes here and really enjoy hearing back from all of you.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Training Tuesday - When in doubt, just charge up that hill, 3-Day style


This weekend we did another big hike up at Yosemite. With the warmer weather much of the snow had melted in the lower elevations so we were able to cover ground fairly quickly - perhaps too quickly. Charging up the hill, with that "get it done" 3-Day mentality that you have by your third day of walking, quickly proved too fast a pace for an elevation gain of 1,000+ feet! Regardless, after a quick break for a photo of me sporting my Susan G. Komen gear, we learned to pace ourselves and made it to the snow covered portion of our trail. Finally got to use our shoe spike things (what are these called? I'm told they are not the same thing as cramp-ons.) And we got to follow fellow hikers straight up a snowy mountain when the trail was no longer visible. Quite the adventure! And a great training day for the 3-Day and for our goal of hiking Half Dome later this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment