- Breast cancer is the most frequently diagnosed cancer and is the leading cause of death among women worldwide.
- More than 1.3 million women are diagnosed with breast cancer globally each year.
- More than 465,000 die from the disease each year.
- A woman dies from breast cancer every 68 seconds.
- Incidence rates are increasing five percent annually in low-resource countries.
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure partners or funds programs in 50 countries to end suffering from breast cancer.
- Komen Founder and CEO Nancy G. Brinker, a Goodwill Ambassador for Cancer Control for the U.N.'s World Health Organization, is urging global health officials to include cancer in global health agendas.
Welcome to my 3-Day for the Cure blog where I discuss my experience training, fundraising and walking in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure. I'll be walking in my third 3-Day, this year in San Diego with my teammate Julie, who I met back in 2009 on the walk. I love sharing stories, challenges, frustrations and successes here and really enjoy hearing back from all of you.