Welcome

Welcome to my 3-Day for the Cure blog where I discuss my experience training, fundraising and walking in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure. I'll be walking in my third 3-Day, this year in San Diego with my teammate Julie, who I met back in 2009 on the walk. I love sharing stories, challenges, frustrations and successes here and really enjoy hearing back from all of you.

Monday, October 4, 2010

Motivational Monday

According to my 3-Day participant site, there are 47 days until the San Diego 3-Day. As it gets down to crunch time, where I realize that I need to up my fundraising efforts and really commit to my training walks, I am constantly looking for new ways to stay motivated.

I've shared a lot about how inspiring I have found Nancy G. Brinker's book Promise Me to be. Part of what inspires me to be involved in the movement to fight breast cancer is the history of the disease and the fact that we have come so far in such a short amount of time. When my grandmother was diagnosed in the 1070s survival rates were not as high. Today the five-year survival rate of women diagnosed with breast cancer is 89%. For those diagnosed early, before the cancer spreads, it is as high as 98% for five or more years.

The ever-improving rates of survival inspire me to get involved, stay involved, and do everything that I can help find a cure for cancer so that the women in my family and in my life will not go through what my grandmother and mother experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment